We all want our pets to be happy and live long and healthy lives. Although treats, snacks, and goodies are fine to give to your pet occasionally, it's never a good idea to over-feed your pet or provide an insufficient diet. At Cedar Grove Animal Hospital in Mission, we are dedicated to helping pet owners understand every aspect of their pets' health care, including nutrition. Whether you have a cat or dog, your pet requires a balanced diet to help maintain his or her health and overall wellness for years to come. Here's what you need to know about nutritional counseling for pets at our Mission animal hospital.
What Is Nutritional Counseling?
Just like humans, pets require balanced diets in order to stay healthy. If you're a new pet owner or noticing changes in your pet's eating patterns, it's important to schedule an appointment at our animal hospital. During the exam, we can run various tests to recommend diets and nutritional advice to support your pet's health.
Nutritional counseling can also be necessary if:
- You notice your pet suffering from excessive vomiting or diarrhea, as this can be signs of an allergic reaction to food
- You notice your pet is having a difficult time digesting food and is constantly bloated or gassy
- Your pet has been diagnosed with diabetes through a routine bloodwork exam
- You notice changes in appetite, such as eating too much or too little
- Your pet is overweight, and it is negatively affecting its life
How Our Animal Hospital Can Help
One of our veterinarians will first perform a physical exam to determine if your pet's health is being negatively affected by its diet. From there, we can recommend lifestyle and diet changes. These diet and lifestyle changes can include:
- Incorporating more protein into your pet's diet
- Incorporating supplements into your pet's diet
- Adding more high-fiber foods
- Cutting down on treats
- Getting rid of foods that might be causing an allergic reaction
- Adding more exercise to your pet's routine
- Adding fresh meats and buying dry food with no fillers
Our vets will need to see your pet after starting a new diet to monitor if it's working or additional changes need to be made.
Visit Us for Nutritional Counseling for Your Pet in Mission
At Cedar Grove Animal Hospital, our veterinarians are ready to help you provide your pet the nutritional care he or she needs to live a happy and healthy life. Whether you need recommendations for foods to buy your pet or advice on how to help him or her lose weight, our veterinary team is here for you. Contact our clinic in Mission near Maple Ridge at (604) 820-8552 today.